Carlo

Against Method: Outline of an Anarchistic Theory of Knowledge
Paul Karl Feyerabend
Arguably: Selected Essays
Christopher Hitchens
Philosophy of Science (Science & Mathematics) (Philosophy & Intellectual History)
Jeffrey L. Kasser
David Mitchell: Critical Essays
Sarah Dillon

Le Petit Prince

Le Petit Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry I didn't enjoy this book. I've heard people praise it and talk endlessly about how wonderful it is, but it didn't work with me. I remember trying to read it several times in English but not going further than several pages. Now that I'm learning French, I decided to give it a shot. The French original is good written and very simple, and after comparing it with the English translation, I realized how bad the translation of Katherine Woods really was.

The Little Prince was originally written as a novella for children. I won't deny that my expectations were very high once I started reading it. Well, after all this is Le Petit Prince, whom the majority of people almost adore. I have several friends who regard this book as their all-time favorite. Nonetheless, it was a huge disappointment. In my view, it is very repetitious and terribly sentimental. It is vague and hard to understand, which most probably is the reason why I didn't like it. There were some allegories that I wasn't even interested in trying to understand. Neither the story nor the characters moved me and I sometimes felt the little prince annoying. I was even on the verge to stop reading the book when in one of the chapters the little prince encounters a merchant who sells pills that will make people not drink water for a whole week to save about fifty minutes. Well, this kind of literature is certainly not for me.

Anyway, there were some chapters that I liked. One of them was that of the fox, in which it is defined what is meant by taming of animals. Others include the last two chapters that revolves around the idea of how people or things gain and accumulate their values in our lives. But overall, it was rather an irritating read. The generalization of the author throughout the book was outrageous and infuriating: all the “grown-ups” are a bunch of morons who cannot appreciate the true value of anything, and cannot see except with their eyes. They are human machines void of life and purpose waiting to be replaced by others. Ugh.