Carlo

Against Method: Outline of an Anarchistic Theory of Knowledge
Paul Karl Feyerabend
Arguably: Selected Essays
Christopher Hitchens
Philosophy of Science (Science & Mathematics) (Philosophy & Intellectual History)
Jeffrey L. Kasser
David Mitchell: Critical Essays
Sarah Dillon
A Study in Scarlet -  Arthur Conan Doyle Fans of Sherlock Holmes in particular will enjoy this book. Ages ago, when I was reading books by Agatha Christie, I was fascinated by Poirot and his ways of unraveling the mysteries and spotting the criminals. I remember how much I wanted to know about him but couldn’t, since Christie doesn't give a serious account about the man, but she rather talks about the detective in the man and his ideas about the mystery which the book is all about. A Study in Scarlet helped me realize why is it that Christie’s books didn't feel completely right to me. It dawned on me that her books didn't have the necessary (well, for me) character focus which differentiates Doyle’s books from the majority of the competition.

A Study in Scarlet was written as the first book in the Sherlock Holmes series. But, as most of us more or less know about the character, by reading the book we can come a step closer to Holmes. We’ll hear his account about his deduction techniques and even his remarks about trivial things, which may not be necessarily connected to the mystery which the book is primarily about. This book is divided into two parts, which connect together beautifully at the end.

After reading a couple of books by Doyle, I don’t consider him a mystery writer, but instead a serious author of literary fiction, in which you can find interesting characters, captivating plots, and even social commentary.