Carlo

Against Method: Outline of an Anarchistic Theory of Knowledge
Paul Karl Feyerabend
Arguably: Selected Essays
Christopher Hitchens
Philosophy of Science (Science & Mathematics) (Philosophy & Intellectual History)
Jeffrey L. Kasser
David Mitchell: Critical Essays
Sarah Dillon
The Hound of the Baskervilles -  Arthur Conan Doyle The good thing about any Sherlock Holmes book, is that the story doesn't revolve only around some mystery. You can't help but realize the richness of Arthur Conan Doyle's fiction, which makes the Holmes mysteries distinguished from many others. Focusing solely on the mystery (not necessarily a bad thing) increases the chance of the book being forgotten as soon as another comes out. This evidently doesn't happen with the Holmes mysteries, which makes their namesake one of the most memorable characters in fiction.

I read many mysteries as good as The Hound of the Baskervilles, and even better in terms of motives and execution. However, what many others lacked was context, story and most importantly the characters of the victim(s) and the criminal(s). It is a well-written book and its story, setting, and characters are almost perfectly constructed with Holmes being very believable. However, some unbelievable elements were thrown here and there, especially in the solution of the mystery, such as the murderer making unnecessary mistakes which result in being exposed to Holmes. But for me, this is much acceptable than the detective being endowed with unearthly and extraordinary powers that help him solve the mystery with a blink of an eye. In a word, I wasn't annoyed at the end. After all, we all make mistakes! The methods of deduction that Holmes employs are very simple and based only upon observation and calculation, unlike others who rely on trials or risks that thanks to the author will eventually prove beneficial and render the book annoying.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is, as many other Holmes books, timeless, and I believe a must-read for those who enjoy detective fiction. It is enjoyable with absolutely thrilling moments. Highly recommended.